Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sweet Cornbread

Not technically a dessert, but sweet and yummy! One of my husband's favorite side dishes at a local Mexican restaurant is their sweet corn cake. I have tried making boxed corn bread, but it is typically dry and bland. So I decided I would make my own, and looked for a sweet corn bread recipe. I landed on one at Allrecipes (of course!) and gave it a whirl! It was easy peasy, yummy and sweet.



Golden Sweet Cornbread (taken from Allrecipes.com)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal

  • 2/3 cup white sugar

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1 egg

  • 1 cup milk

  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil

  • 
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
    In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
    Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. 

     Right out of the oven, I sprinkled the bread with a dusting of extra sugar on top. I used skim milk for the recipe, but next time I think I will try buttermilk or vitamin D milk, I think it would add to the consistancy of the bread.
    I served a warm piece to my hubby with a drizzle of agave nectar, and he loved it! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment